Purpose: To develop and streamline players to compete at the academy, collegiate and professional level
- Players are identified by the NVSC technical staff and monitored during games and training.
- Selected players are sent to affiliate night once per month by NVSC technical staff to train with DC United Academy.
- Players are sent according to year of birth not by age group. For example, a player could be playing U14 with NVSC, but in academy age that player is actually a U13 because year of birth for that player is 2001.
- If player(s) is identified by DC United as a strong Candidate, the NVSC TDOC is contacted by the Director of DC United Academy and advised of such. A recommendation is often made for that player to attend training once per week.
- DC United monitors said player during that season and can make a recommendation for that player to come on full time as an academy player at the end of that player’s fall or spring season.
- Once the NVSC TDOC is notified by the Director of DC United Academy, a meeting is set up with the NVSC Boys Director and the coach of that player.
- If all are in agreement that the player is ready, a meeting is set up with that player’s parents to inform them of the offer, further educate them on the process and to congratulate them on their accomplishment. It is up to the parents to make the final decision to go to the Academy or remain at NVSC.
- If parents favor the move, the NVSC TDOC puts them in contact with other families from NVSC that are part of the Academy so that carpooling can be arranged if needed.
- Once all paper work has been finalized with DC United, NVSC will take a picture of that player and acknowledge their accomplishments on the Club Website for all NVSC Families to see.